Home | Bexar.org

Your Business: Starting a Business: SMWBE'S Top 10

  • How do I register my business name or get a DBA?

    Visit the Bexar County County Clerk's office at the Paul Elizondo Tower to register the business name.

    101 W. Nueva St., Suite 120 (1st floor)
    *Notary public onsite*

    You can get more information by visiting:

    https://gov.propertyinfo.com/tx-bexar/AssumedNames.aspx External Website

    or calling: 210.335.2216.

    Copies of misplaced certificates can also be obtained there.

  • Where do I get an Employer Identification Number?

    Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at www.IRS.gov External Website or:

    IRS San Antonio

    8626 Tesoro Drive, San Antonio, TX 78217


  • Where do I get a State of Texas sales tax permit?

    Texas State Comptroller offices are located in San Antonio or contacted at www.window.state.tx.us External Website

    Field Office - San Antonio Northwest
    Taxpayer Services and Collections
    9514 Console Drive, Suite 102
    San Antonio, Texas 78229-2042

    Field Office - San Antonio Northeast
    Taxpayer Services and Collections
    3300 Nacogdoches Road, Suite 105
    San Antonio, Texas 78217-3373

    Field Office - San Antonio Southwest
    Taxpayer Services and Collections
    123 Southwest Military Drive
    San Antonio, Texas 78221-1613

  • Where can I get information on permits needed for my business?

    1. The Development Services Department at 1901 S. Alamo St. is a one stop shop for required permits, licenses, zoning, and certificates to operate a business in San Antonio.

    2. Businesses located in Bexar County need to contact Public Works at 210.335.6700 or visit:
      233 N. Pecos, Suite 420
      San Antonio, Texas 78205

    3. Businesses located in surrounding Bexar County cities listed below need to contact the city offices for the following entities to obtain required permits:

    (Note: for further details on home based businesses please make sure to contact your local entity.)

  • Where can I get training or counseling on starting a business and or writing a business plan?

    UTSA Small Business Development Center offers training and counseling on international trade and government contracting as well as a variety of other subjects. They can be contacted at http://sasbdc.org/ External Website or 210.458.2460.

    SCORE Counselors to America's Small Business Volunteers provide professional guidance and information to maximize the success of America's existing and emerging small businesses. Additional contact information can be found at sanantonio.score.org External Website or 210.403.5931.

  • Are there any grants to start a business?

    No - but the SBA offers Small Business Loans through various financial institutions in and around Bexar County.

    For local micro-lending institutions or start up loans please contact:

    ACCION Texas at
    www.acciontexas.org External Website or 210.226.3664

    Small Business Administration at
    www.sba.gov External Website or 210.403.5900

  • How do I certify my business?

    Bexar County Area - www.sctrca.org External Website or 210.227.4722

    Federal - www.sba.gov External Website
    SBA 8(a), SBE, SBA, HUB Zone and Empowerment Zone

    State - www.window.state.tx.us External Website
    Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) - Central Master Bidder's List

    State - http://www.dot.state.tx.us/business/business_outreach/dbe.htm External Website
    Texas Unified Certification Program (TUCP) - Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program

    Private Sector - http://www.smsdc.org/ External Website
    Southwest Minority Supplier Development Council (SMSDC)

    Private Sector - http://www.wbea-texas.org/home External Website
    Women's Business Enterprise Alliance (WBEA)

  • How do I become a Bexar County Vendor?

    Visit the Bexar County Purchasing Website at http://www.bexar.org/purchasing/ External Website and go to the Supplier Portal Registration External Website and follow the steps listed. You can contact the Purchasing Department at 210.335.2211.

  • Do I have to be certified as SBE, MBE, WBE, AABE, VBE, DIBE to do business with Bexar County?

    NO - but make sure that you register on-line to do business with Bexar County Supplier Portal External Website to receive solicitations to compete for Bexar County Contracts.

  • How do I register for the Small, Minority, Women, and Veteran Owned Business Conference on December 5, 2012 at the Freeman Coliseum?

    Visit the Register Now page and register to attend the FREE conference.

    Registration opens on September 1st, 2012.

    The Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum is located at:

    3201 E. Houston,
    San Antonio Texas, 78219.

    *FREE parking for this event will be provided*

    For more information please contact the SMWBE office at 210.335.0671 or sdiaz@bexar.org.

Contact Information:
Renee Watson
SMWBE Program Manager/DBE Liaison
Phone: 210.335.2478
Fax: 210.335.0673
Comments and suggestions regarding this website are encouraged.
Please contact the SMWBE Program Office at 210.335.2478 or rwatson@bexar.org
For Technical Issues: webmaster@bexar.org